Only real action will help to save our planet
WHAT WE’VE DONE
- Jointly sponsored the Council’s 2019 Climate Emergency Declaration – it was the Lib Dems who ensured it contained measurable targets and included residents in the working group.
- Called for the Climate Action Plan to include tree & biodiversity strategies – voted down by Labour.
- Successfully convinced the Council to include single use plastics in the Climate Action Plan.
- Twice proposed de-carbonising the Council’s pension fund – voted down in September 2021 and November 2021.
- Ensured that the pot of money councillors can use for small projects in their area can be spent on tree planting.
- Opposed and successfully delayed Labour’s greenwashing 'tax on not voting Labour’ which unfairly increased parking charges only in areas that don't tend to elect Labour councillors.
WHAT WE’LL DO
- Appoint a Council Cabinet Member for the Climate Action Plan and Clean Air – to ensure there’s a real focus on achieving a zero carbon Merton by 2030.
- De-carbonise the Council’s pension fund.
- Put robust tree and biodiversity strategies in the Council’s Climate Action Plan.
- Replace the Council transport fleet with electric vehicles and develop a strategy for electric charging points across the borough.
- Prioritise helping residents to reduce their carbon emissions.
- Turn off the lights in the Civic Centre (when they're not needed)!