Building the post-pandemic economy
WHAT WE’VE DONE
- Attempted to get the Council to help our struggling high streets by pushing them to:
- apply for grant funding;
- adopt planning rules that encourage independent shops alongside established chains; and
- work with developers to provide space for start-ups, pop-ups and communal work areas.
- Supported local business groups including Love Wimbledon & the Chamber of Commerce.
- Broadly back the new owner’s plans to develop Centre Court shopping centre.
- Called out Labour bosses who attended investors’ conference in Cannes but secured no funding to rejuvenate Morden.
- Fought to help local language schools, events companies & others who didn’t receive their fair share of financial assistance during lockdown.
WHAT WE’LL DO
- Promote a vibrant creative sector, from start-ups to established businesses - we need to listen to these industries about what the Council can do to help.
- Support soundly financed cultural additions to Wimbledon’s vibrant array of 3 theatres and 2 cinemas and build on the success of the thriving Bookfest & Film Club.
- Aim to be named a London Borough of Culture.
- Establish incubator sites for start-ups and investigate barriers to establishing new businesses through a review of planning policies.
- Work with local groups to attract funding to promote our heritage and encourage visitors.
- Ensure take-away food delivery companies provide a service without dominating the high street.